Thursday 6 March 2014

Wet Brush vs. Tangle Teezer

... the battle of the detangling brushes

I have a lot of hair. It is pretty thin but let me tell you, I have a lot of it and it tends to get really tangled, especially in the back of my head. I don't know why, if it's too dry or damaged because I have bleached the ends so many times to reach the desired ombré effect or what, but I know that brushing my hair had become a chore I was not looking forward to. 

Source
So a few years ago, when the Tangle Teezer first came out in Germany, I was one of the first to get my hands on it, as it promised to detangle your hair without any pain and furthermore prevent split ends. Now let me say, for years I was very happy with my Tangle Teezer, until a few months ago, I came across the Wet Brush at TK-Maxx.
Source

Design

The original Tangle Teezer is a round- shaped brush made out of plastic without a handle. Because of that, it is not the most comfortable to hold in your hand.The bristles are pretty flexible and dense and the rows alternate between longer and shorter bristles.All in all it is a pretty original design.

The Wet Brush looks more like your common brush with your standart handle and everything. The special thing about these brushes are the bristles which are very long and flexible but unlike the Tangle Teezer not very dense. Now design-wise, I think the colours are pretty fun but for a grown woman or man they kinda look silly, just sayin'.


Promises

The Tangle Teezer promises to "deliver speedy and gentle results with the revolutionary teeth formulation. [It] helps minimise hair breakage caused by mistreatment when detangling." It's also supposed to "noticeably increase shine".
The Wet Brush claims that the "adaptive flexibility of the IntelliFlex™ bristles eliminates all tugging, tearing, pulling and ripping. No split ends, no hair loss. It provides healthy brushing and detangling, creating the perfect transition from wash to style".

Price

The original Tangle Teezer retails for around 15€ and the Wet Brush for 16- 20€. I found my paddle Wet Brush at TK- Maxx for 17€.

Performance

I find that the Tangle Teezer does get rid of tangles, but not really without tugging at the hair. I brush my hair from the bottom to the top and that does take some time especially if you have thick hair. I also found that because my hair is so thick and the bristles are pretty short, it takes a little more effort to get every last knot out of my hair. And since it doesn't have a handle, the back of my head is hard to reach and that is where my hair is extremely knotty. Yet it is more gentle to your hair and prevents split ends more than the average brush.
The Wet Brush on the other hand is really easy to use, because of its traditional shape. The handle makes it super effortless the reach even the back of my head and the size, especially of the paddle brush, makes brushing my hair a matter of seconds. Now it is calles "Wet" Brush, so they say it's save to use on wet hair, which is super sensitive. And there really is something about the bristles, which I can't really point my finger at, that makes combing your hair effortless. It doesn't tug or rip out any hair because the long bristles just glide through your hair. Therefore it does prevent hair damage and it makes it save to use on wet hair. 


Conclusion

Before I found the Tangle Teezer I sometimes used to go days without brushing my hair, because I just couldn't be bothered with spending 15 minutes trying to brush out my hair. Aside from the fact that it hurt like a mofo and ripped out and broke off so much hair, it wasn't even funny. So it is still way better than your average hair brush, but ever since I have found the Wet Brush, I prefer it to the Tangle Teezer, simply because it is easier to use, it saves time (that's always a plus) and it is more gentle to the hair. 

To sum it up I would say the two things about the Wet Brush that stand out to me and make it better than the Tangle Teezer are 1) the handle and 2) the long and very flexible bristles.

Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Connect

Follow on Bloglovin